Friday, September 9, 2011

Science Fiction Fantasy Saturday #12: Superhero fashion


Welcome to #SFFSat – Science Fiction Fantasy Saturday -  a chance to post snippets from a piece of speculative fiction. Want to join in? Check out the site and links to other great speculative fiction authors at Science Fiction Fantasy Saturday and follow the hashtag #SFFSat on Twitter.
This snippet is from a middle-grade superhero WIP, Woodland Girl and the Mechanic:

Here, the main character, Jared, has just offered his newly super-powered friend, Maria, some comic books to give her costume ideas.

-----

"Most of these women are almost naked.” Maria rolled her eyes. "You’re such a pervert, Jared. I 'd prefer something like they wear in Venusian Princess Himiko.”

I snatched the stack out of her hands. “Give me a break. Venusian Princess Himiko? Don’t they fight in dresses? How can you fight in a dress? That’s just stupid.”

“They’re magic dresses,” she said, a pout on her face. She shrugged. “It’s no more stupid than fighting in a bikini. I’m not going to wear anything like those slutty girls in your comics.”

4 comments:

Gayle Ramage said...

Right on, sister! Love the bickering and that they're going through comic books for ideas!

Anonymous said...

I was saying the same thing to my hubby the other day in Forbidden Planet - all the women have huge boobs and nothing on them. My hubby's answer was that they were drawn by spotty 40 year old geeks who still live with their mothers, so what did I expect?
Loved the snippet :)

Sue Ann Bowling said...

I agree--comic books are not exactly the place to get practical ideas for female superhero costumes!

Pippa Jay said...

I love this 'discussion'! I don't see how a dress can be any more impractical than a bikini - at least you wouldn't have to worry about your anatomy falling out of the dress so much. :D